Position Details: Librarian (NIH Library of Medicine)
Title: Librarian (NIH Library of Medicine)
Location: National Institute of Health, National Library of Medicine, Bethesda, MD
A P Ventures (APV) Background: Since its inception in 2006, APV has been pioneering creative eLearning solutions. Over the years, APV’s staff has created more than 3,000 hours of online learning for Federal, State, and commercial clients. APV’s innovative products are enabling many clients to provide 24/7/365 custom training and education, with highly interactive content, to a widely distributed work force. Due to our stellar past performance creating and delivering training solutions, APV has established itself as a highly successful provider of online learning—one that has won many task orders under the multi-billion-dollar, Best-in-Class Human Capital Training Solutions (HCaTS) Government-Wide Acquisition Contract (GWAC), overseen by the Office of Personnel Management and General Services Administration (OPM/GSA).
Description: The employee shall be a full-time, professional librarian supporting the National Library of Medicine (NLM) in Bethesda, MD. The employee will be a part of librarians and depending upon specific skill will help the NLM carry out one or more librarian tasks.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct collection maintenance tasks such as shelving, shifting, inventory, and rehousing fragile materials.
- Plan, assign and evaluate the work of the paraprofessional staff supporting the NLM.
- Assists client and NIH staff with using the NLM resources. Communicate policies to users. Addresses customer concerns and complaints or escalates to the supervisor as appropriate.
- Participates in the planning and implementation of new services or process improvements.
- Identifies and resolves problems related to access and use of library information resources and services.
Note: This list of duties is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon positional needs.
- All Librarians shall have the ability to create detailed written instructions and provide verbal training for paraprofessional staff. All Librarians shall have the ability to plan, assign, and evaluate the work of paraprofessional staff.
- Librarian(s) supporting Biomedical Journal Digitization shall have knowledge of library citation standards, image capture, article identification, and citation and metadata creation.
- Librarian(s) supporting Onsite Digitization shall have at least two years of experience scanning library materials, processing images, and performing QA/QC on images and metadata.
- Librarian(s) supporting AV Preservation shall have at least two years of experience with preservation-level AV reformatting projects.
- Librarian(s) supporting Collection Maintenance shall have at least one year of recent experience with interpreting bibliographic data elements and updating bibliographic, holdings, and items records using an integrated library system (ILS).
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- A self-starter who works with minimum supervision in accordance with our company’s values, the terms of the contract, and the client’s guidance.
- Able to be on-site, full time, Monday-Friday for an 8-hour workday between the hours of 7:30 am and 6 pm
- 3 or more years of experience working with or for the National Institute of Health, preferably within or in support of the National Library of Medicine or hospital library and experience with health information backgrounds or understanding of health information resources.
- Master’s degree in Library Science (MLS) or Masters in Library Information Science (MLIS).
About A P Ventures
A P Ventures is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are considered without regard to race, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, or marital status. Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability candidates are encouraged to apply. Qualified military veterans are encouraged to apply.