Position Details: Senior Database Administrator
TITLE: Senior Database Administrator
DURATION: 5 years - Three (3) base year period with one (1) two-year option period
LOCATION: Baltimore, MD
Summary: The Maryland Department of Transportation (MDOT) is issuing this CATS+ TORFP on behalf of the Maryland Transit Administration (MTA or the “Department”) to obtain resources to provide services and support with the MS SQL Servers and Oracle/UNIX Linux database operations, maintenance, and mission critical business applications throughout MDOT and MTA. In addition, all resources will support other client/server and web base systems, and provide guidance concerning application security, and give continual supportive information concerning best practices in planning, designing, and implementing emerging database management technology solutions.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure servers are current with DBMS patches and security updates.
- Perform all database security checks and manage all database securities.
- Maintain security and integrity of data access policies losses and system downtime and by developing backup routines for the database management system software and for the stored data.
- Configure and tweak the hardware and software, perform integration testing, create and restore server images, create and implement plans to rollover the MDOT and MTA’s statewide systems from testing to production.
- Install and upgrade servers and other related software on the MDOT and MTA’s specified hardware to provide functional capabilities for the critical systems.
- Configure a backup job to run on specified schedule, conduct routine maintenance and proactive monitoring on all databases.
- Restore data files or tables from previous backup sessions.
- Develop, maintain scripts, perform and monitor backups for mission critical servers at MDOT and MTA.
- Troubleshoot database connectivity and backup issues working with Vendors/Developers/Users/Project Managers and backup operators.
- Perform system performance monitoring.
- Trouble shooting and resolve complex and diverse Interface issues.
- Prepare and implement disaster recovery plans for various server-based software systems.
- Create upgrade, migration schedules and plans to minimize the impact on production and mission critical systems.
- Conduct random health checks on the databases, prepare quality assurance and performance review to include business needs, testing, upgrades, architecture storage modifications and adjustments. Provide and review a weekly report with the Database Manager.
- Assist MDOT and MTA Business Side System Administrators on database issues/errors and assist users and programmers with SQL queries and tuning.
- Coordinate the installation and implementation of database management system software and related software tools with vendors, other data processing staff and system users.
- Attend internal MDOT and MTA staff meetings as requested with network team, project managers, business users, developers and upper management.
- Independently research and find creative solutions to problems and share knowledge with other team members.
- Create or review configuration change requests, hardware/software requirements, work breakdown structures, implementation plans and testing plans for database servers and database projects.
- Perform the role of the Database Manager if warranted.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by MDOT and MTA management.
- Have at least eight (8) years’ experience in the following:
- Experience in database administration with DBMS platforms including: the management of data, tables, views, indexes, triggers, constraints, primary keys, foreign keys, rules, stored procedures, functions, data types, users, roles, logins, file groups, files, storage, Data Manipulation Language (DML), Data Definition Language (DDL) and other related items.
- Experience with Database Consistency Checker Commands (DBCCs), Open Database Connectivity (ODBC), SQL Server Native Client (SNAC), middleware, database and transaction log backups, scheduled jobs, batch programs, scripts, performance, concurrency, security, redundancy and other related items.
- Experience with different versions of DBMS, analytic services, reporting services, mirroring, virtualization and log shipping, replication.
- Knowledge and experience with database architecture, design, development and best practices including high availability, disaster recovery, normalization to third normal form, query optimization, logical models, physical models, referential integrity and domain integrity.
- Experience with third party database modeling tools (including Visual Studio for Enterprise Architects, Erwin, Visio) and other similar third-party software tools.
- Experience with specifying, installing, configuring and supporting related hardware platforms including multiprocessor servers, RAID\SAN storage technology and backup solutions.
- Experience installing, configuring and utilizing server and desktop operating systems.
- Experience with operating systems.
- Familiar with Common Gateway Interface (CGI) scripts to publish reports on intranet page using HTML and apache web server.
- Familiar with the use of Hummingbird, SAP Crystal Reports Server.
- Experience configuring and utilizing Active Directory.
- Experience with Trapeze and Cubic software applications that are used by the MDOT and MTA to support critical business functions for both Fixed Route buses, Mobility, and Fare Collection Services.
- Bachelor’s Degree Required
About A P Ventures
A P Ventures, LLC is a full-service IT consulting company headquartered in Columbia, MD. We are one of the fastest growing IT companies in the Washington DC–metro area, and are a prime vendor with various federal, State, and Local agencies. Learn more at www.apvit.com.
A P Ventures is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, or marital status.