Position Details: Reference Librarian
Submit your resume to JOBS@APVIT.COM
Location: Full-time Remote with the potential for on-site at the National Institute of Health, National Library of Medicine, Bethesda, MD
APV Background: Since its founding in 2007, APV's portfolio of clients has grown significantly. As a well-established, woman-owned, Small Business Association-certified 8(a) company, APV has become a small business leader in supporting a multitude of clients, from more than 15 federal and state agencies, including the Department of Defense, to civilian organizations. As of 2021, APV has executed 70 plus prime contracts and received exceptional performance and client service ratings. APV is currently working on more than 30 government projects. APV has a wide portfolio of contracts and “Best-in-Class” contract vehicles, including GSA MAS, OASIS Small Business, and 8(A) Pool 1, CIO-SP3 SB & 8(a) across all functional areas, HCaTS, and several other industry-specific BPA and IDIQs.
APV is a mature company dedicated to quality and exceptional delivery to meet its clients’ missions. We understand personnel is an essential part of this. We hire the best and take care of the people who come work for us. We continue to maintain 96% employee satisfaction and have a high retention rate, well above the industry average for our small business peers. We do this by offering a competitive compensation plan and a leadership that is dedicated to employee growth and advancement.
Description: The employee shall be a full-time reference librarian serving as a member of our team supporting the National Library of Medicine (NLM) in Bethesda, MD. The employee works with his/her team lead and team members to help the NLM carry out its mission of enabling biomedical research, supporting health care and public health, and promoting healthy behavior by providing access to biomedical and health information across the country in partnership with over 6,000‐member National Network of Libraries of Medicine (NNLM). The employee responds to customer inquiries and provides users with quality health information and sound technical advice. The NLM is open 7:30 am to 6:00 pm Monday-Friday, except on Federal Holidays.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Respond to incoming e-mail and telephone reference inquiries from researchers, librarians, scientists, other medical professionals, and the public on medical and consumer health issues utilizing NLM resources. Serve as backup for the Manager responding to more complex requests, resolving staff issues, and acting as liaison with a government client. Initiated and implemented a reorganization of the staff training program, creating initial and ongoing training modules and schedules.
- Provide customer service support for the reference and web services section of the National Library of Medicine (NLM).
- Respond to and triage information requests and questions for the library’s products and collections and reference requests for medical/health information of library customers in the United States and abroad.
- Evaluate, develop, and edit public and internal frequently asked questions (FAQs), fact sheets, stock replies, wiki triage instructions, and subject guides.
Note – currently the NLM reference library is closed for renovations and the Reference Reading room is not open to the public. However, the NLM team provides desk coverage for the NLM Reading Room Reference Desk, assisting visitors with accessing and searching NLM biomedical databases, and reference tools and with using the vast NLM library collection. Staff NLM exhibit at professional conferences. This is a potential requirement for consideration.
Note: This list of duties is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon positional needs.
- 1 year of professional experience in an academic, health sciences library, or information center
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Able to work with minimum supervision in accordance with our company’s values and guidance from the client and the employee’s on-site team leader
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- A self-starter who works with minimum supervision in accordance with our company’s values, the terms of the contract, and the client’s guidance.
- Able to be on-site, full time, Monday-Friday for an 8-hour workday between the hours of 8 am and 5 pm
3 or more years of experience in an academic, health sciences library, or information center working with or for the National Institute of Health, preferably within or in support of the National Library of Medicine or hospital library and experience with health information backgrounds or understanding of health information resources.
Required - Bachelor’s degree in Library Science or Information Science
Desired - Master’s degree in Library Science (MLS) or master’s in library information science (MLIS)
About A P Ventures
A P Ventures is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are considered without regard to race, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, or marital status. Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability candidates are encouraged to apply. Qualified military veterans are encouraged to apply.